Boston Manhunt Shuts Down City’s Live-Music Scene

Boston Deals With Aftermath Of Marathon Explosions

(from Billboard.biz, April 19, 2013) Since the Boston Marathon bombing, a manhunt has been held to search for one of the suspects. This search shut down Boston for much of Friday. Consequently, many venues and other music promoters have cancelled their scheduled events. A talent buyer for Bowery Presents Boston, Josh Bhatti, said that the entire city has cancelled or postponed their events. He went on to say that the venues realized they needed to let the police conduct their search for the safety of the city.

Some of the events that had been postponed or cancelled included the Blue Man Group, the Feelies, Big Tree at Hard Rock Café, and the second round of the semi-finals for the Rock’n’Rumble. These events, along with several others, had all been scheduled for Friday. Several other events and concerts had been cancelled earlier in the week after the bombing. Bhatti discussed the uncertainty of whether more events will be cancelled in the near future.

The Boston Calling Music Festival is scheduled for May 25-26 at the City Hall Plaza. Bowery Presents is partnering with Crash Line Productions to produce the event. The lineup is scheduled to include Fun, Of Monsters and Men, and Young the Giant, along with others.  Crash Line Productions’ co-founder, Brian Appel, is unsure of how the bombing will affect future events such as the festival.

Security has been increased for Coachella in Indio, California, since the Boston bombings. The Indio Police Department announced that Coachella security officials are increasing their precautions as they allow festival attendees into the event. They have reminded their security team to be extra alert, and are also warning attendees to alert officials if they see anything out of the ordinary. The spokesman for the Indio Police says that “even though we have a well-planned operation, it can only be more enhanced with the help of the public.”